Saturday, July 16, 2011

Which Linux?

…being a linux user I’ve tried out various linux distros, trying to find the one that suits me the best.

Each of them are wonderful in their own way. Many of the distros are made for a specific set of users. Some aim at security, some at being small and off course some to replace windows :)

 But none of them seem to satisfy me. Some distros provide wonderful UI and customization but hog a lot of memory. Few of them are very fast and small but does not provide a good GUI. Most of the time, there are so many unwanted features that I hardly use.

So I decided that I’l build my own based on my requirements. In the beginning I thought of using ‘Arch’ as it comes with a plane and simple base system upon which I can add my required modules. Moreover since ‘Arch’ is based on rolling release, the fact I would not have to frequently upgrade to newer stable versions was comforting.

Then I came across this project call ‘linux from scratch’(LFS). I’m glad I found that project. LFS provides step-by-step instruction to build a custom linux from source code. I couldn’t ask for more. This is the next best thing to writing my own OS.

LFS lets me create a basic system. similarly there are other xLFS, that lets you to continue on the base system to create more advanced and customized systems .

So, if there are others out there who also want a customized linux, then  http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/ should be your first step.

No comments:

Post a Comment